Here are some random musings as our minds turn to brackets in just a few short hours this evening.
A Baker’s Dozen Years of Dominance at KU:
– Most students graduate from college in 4 years…except this guy. I got one year smarter than all of you who were so eager to leave college. I stuck around increased my knowledge and graduated in 5 years.
– KU has won the Big 12 title 12 out of the past 13 years.
– Consider this: 4 years = 1 cycle: working our way backwards and including this year, there have been 3 1/4 cycles of students (13 years), at a total of 14 college institutions, that have tried to win the Big 12 regular season title.
– Only 2 schools in the past 13 years have succeeded.
– KU and Oklahoma State.
– KU won the title in 2002 and 2003.
– Oklahoma State interrupted KU’s 2-year win streak and won the Big 12 title in 2004.
– KU finished 2nd in 2004.
– 2004 was Bill Self’s first year at KU.
– In 11 seasons at KU, Bill Self has never finished worse than 2nd place in the regular season of the Big 12.
– Bill Self finished tied for 2nd in his first year (2004), and then every year after that he won the conference title.
– For those of you lacking in sufficient math skills that’s 10 years in a row Bill Self at KU.
– We give him grace for what he did in 2004.
– KU has won the title back to back, to back, to back, to back, to back, to back, to back, to back, to back.
– All those back to backs impress these two guys.
– Depending on how the rest of the brackets and match-ups turn out, right now I’d prefer to be a 2 seed in the MidWest with Wichita State as the #1 seed in our region. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.
– I want to avoid Michigan State and Louisville.
– Florida and Arizona State are weaker than they seem.
– No team is without some major flaws this year.
– I want to have Joel Embiid back asap.
– I think we can survive the first two rounds (technically the 2nd and 3rd rounds – oh how I wish the NCAA would wise-up and change it back – so dumb).
– Nadiir Tharpe needs to play well.
– Everybody needs to play well!
– Teams don’t advance without solid guard play. Not necessarily dominant guard play but solid guard play.
– We might have to “boat race” a few teams considering that our defense is not as dominant this year.
– This should be a March full of tons of exciting games.
– I don’t know if there will be any major upsets in the tournament this year because this year, teams outside of the top 2 seeds are all fairly similar.
– Even the teams in the 1 and 2 seeds (the top 8 teams) aren’t exactly dominant.
– Enjoy March Madness!
– Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!